QUETTA, March 16: The Balochistan government has decided to withdraw 28 cases registered in Dera Bugti district against Baloch Republican Party chief Nawabzada Brahamdagh Bugti.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik had announced last month that all cases against Mr Bugti, Nawabzada Hyarbyar Marri and other self-exiled Baloch leaders would be withdrawn.
After the announcement, sources said, Provincial Home Secretary Naseebullah Bazai directed divisional commissioners and the Balochistan IGP to collect details of cases against the leaders in their respective divisions.
“Twenty-eight cases of different nature will be withdrawn in the first phase,” the sources told Dawn, adding that the cases were registered in the district of Dera Bugti in connection with attacks on national installations, gas pipelines and security forces.
The sources said that details of cases against Mr Bugti, Mr Marri, Javed Mengal and other Baloch leaders had also been sought from other districts.
Chief Minister Nawab Aslam Raisani has decided to form a committee to review the cases.
The committee will comprise provincial ministers, home secretary, law secretary and other officials concerned.